Saturday, April 26, 2008

Listening to myself

I used to cringe whenever I'd hear myself on a tape or in a video. I've managed to avoid video cameras and recorders alike for years. When I was in the 8th grade, myself and a partner (who was less than happy to be forced to work with someone who couldn't talk properly, and made it widely known) had to participate in a Spanish project where we made a weather forecast in Spanish, and it was to be recorded by our teacher. I remember sitting with my back to the television while the class was watching all the various group's takes.

Last night, my roommate followed me around the room with her video camera as I was cleaning. Although I knew it was likely that she would upload the videos to Facebook, I still spoke to her while she recorded. When I watched the videos she had taken, I was surprised to learn that I didn't cringe while hearing myself talk. I also realized that my speech impediment isn't quite as bad as I always imagine it is, although there were a few times when even I had trouble understanding myself.

I think, using recording and video, could aid people with speech impediments in improving the way we talk. By watching these videos of myself, I found out where a lot of my problems are, and what specific words I should work on.

2 comments:

lose weight said...

I'm sure that doing what you really want is a key to healthy life

Unknown said...

I think that mantal heakth is even more important that physical health, so you are in the right way!