Monday, August 20, 2007

H.S. Debates

Most speech disorder sufferers hate giving public presentations, or even just speaking in front of other people. I'm usually the same way. But my senior debate in high school was different. I loved it. I was one of two people on our team; most had three. The topic we had wasn't the most exciting. "Should people be able to legally sell organs". My partner was a friend of mine, and he refused to do the debate, and he decided that he wanted to do the opening and closing. Which left me to the debating. We had done a lot of great research, and I was fully prepared. The room was full of people (and it wasn't a small room), but nonetheless I got up to the podium and began. Surprisingly, I wasn't at all nervous or jittery. I spoke slowly and as plainly as I could. In the end we won the debate.

It proved to me that, despite this impediment, I could still give presentations without ridicule, and that I enjoyed it. I'm hoping to hone my skills in college.

No comments: